What keeps you up at night? Tomorrow’s exam? Finishing school? Finding a job? We remember being you. It’s not easy, but the world is full of possibilities. Our wish for you is not only that you successfully complete your degree and find a job that values your new skills, but that you continue lifelong learning and evolve into a vocation that lights the fire inside of you. It took us too long! Better late than never, but we want to offer a shortcut for you.
Not all organizations or jobs are good. You probably know this already from listening to employed folks around you; 70% of people now say they are “not engaged at work.” As prospective employers interview you, we want you to evaluate them as well in a subtle but simple way, reflecting on 3 questions:
- Does this organization value whole people, not just units of production? Are the leaders balanced as well as the entry level employees? If they have kids and family, do they talk about them or do people seem to be disintegrated, with personal and professional lives separated really?
- Does this organization provide shared meaning, beyond just making money? Yes, you want to join a financially sound organization, but is there something more?
- Does this organization help people grow, personally and professionally? Can you see how you’ll learn and evolve from the day you step through the door? As you talk to people at various levels, ask them how they have grown and how the organization helped them.
If you can answer yes to all 3 questions, go for it with all you’ve got. Let your passion for their work and people show, and it will help you land the job. We know this from experience. It works.
If you have reservations on any of these 3 questions, vote with your feet. Walk away. Yes, we know you need a job, but we don’t want you to settle. So, start early, prioritize your options, learn as you interview, and adjust your search using these 3 criteria. They might lead you to places you didn’t originally consider, but it will be worth it.
Our Currency of Empathy® team has some tools to help you right now:
- A survey which will give you specific ideas for how great organizations do things
- Over time, as gather more data, we will offer recommendations for great places to work
- Meanwhile, you can find rich hunting ground in certified Bcorps and organizations that practice conscious capitalism.
We want you to find work you’ll love for many reasons. Because it will bring you joy. Because you will be the bosses of our kids! Because you will make the world a better place.
Please keep us posted on your progress. We hope you will stay in touch by following and commenting on our blog too. We love to hear from you and see the future unfolding.
The Currency of Empathy® team